It's Time To Be Together
As we look cautiously beyond lockdown but not yet overseas, here are four brilliant options for a restorative UK getaway, that create time to connect with family, as well as old friends and new. Something we are all longing for...
1. GO EAST - Get Active at Fritton Lake, Norfolk
What we love:
- Swim in the two-mile long lake, explore on a nature safari and forage for dinner in sustainable wild land. We can also go trail running, cycle, paddle and sail, then learn how to improve our natural ecosystem
- Fritton Lake is set in one thousand acres and part of an initiative in East Anglia which aims to return 20% of land in the region to nature, aiding biodiversity recovery.
BOOK: Bookings are open at Fritton Lake, with stays in the woodland retreats and farm cottages from April, and boutique hotel accommodation at the 16th century Clubhouse from May. Enjoy a seasonal menu featuring ingredients grown and bred on site. From £140pn for a double room www.frittonlake.co.uk
2. HEAD SOUTH-WEST - Laugh, Cry & Decompress with The Arrigo Programme
What we need:
- Perfectly timed to encourage gentle reintegration into life on the outside, leading transformational retreat provider Fiona Arrigo is launching brand new Arrigo UK Group Retreats from July. These ‘Bounce Back’ retreats offer a new opportunity for women to come together, discover a deep connection with others and oneself, new meaning in our changing world and an abundance of rest and recuperation.
BOOK: Carefully curated by world-renowned psychotherapist and profound intuitive Fiona Arrigo, along with her loyal team, guest teachers and expert practitioners, the 4-night/3-day retreats will be held in an exquisite private house in Somerset with beautiful gardens. Retreats scheduled for 12th - 16th July / 3rd - 5th December. Prices start at £1300 to include four nights, all meals and all activities. Treatments are additional and paid for on an individual basis. www.thearrigoprogramme.com
3. GO NORTH - Into the wilderness at Alladale, Scottish Highlands
What we want:
- To be among the first to eat off the land from Alladale's new Aquaponics Gardens, which open fully this spring/summer.
- Spotting dolphins, eagles and wildcats. Seeing reforestation in action and learning about the long term restoration plans on the reserve. Explore on 4×4 guided safaris, hikes, clay-pigeon shooting and mountain biking. Being remote in nature, but never alone.
BOOK: Open for enquiries, Alladale is set against rugged hills and the country’s most northerly ancient Caledonian pine forest - the ultimate getaway in 23,000-acres of wild nature. If you can wait until autumn, join one of their special retreats including the 5-night Speyside Wildlife Retreat from 9-16 October, from £2,705pp. Or try the 3-night Rewilding Escapes Wilderness Weekend from 29 October – 1 November, from £1,260 pp full board. www.alladale.com.
4. HEAD TO THE RETREAT EXPERTS ONLINE - Queen of Retreats
Whether North, South, East or West, Queen of Retreats is bursting with recommendations and ideas for the best and most trusted UK retreats of all kinds, from wellbeing retreats perfect for the solo traveller to inspirational breaks devoted to art, writing, digital detoxing and being in nature. www.queenofretreats.com